Pickles & Fall Musings

I love fall! I was born in the fall, first child in the family, on my mother's birthday, and it is also the birthday of an uncle on either side of the family....one being my godfather and the other being my elective grandfather, as my mother's parents died within six months of each other when she was 8 years old. She was the baby of the family. Her oldest sister, Helen, (already grown) married Uncle Virg and they took in my mother to raise.

Anyhow, maybe that's why I love fall. Or, is it because I love the newness of every season? But, right now it is fall, and I'm loving it! It's also the final push to harvest and eat all the goodies we've grown over the past few months.

Today, it looks like rain, so I gathered all the ripe tomatoes and cucumbers. Looks like more pickles in our future and I even left on some little ones which will hopefully mature in a week or so.

Here's a pickle recipe we like, and its sooooo easy and good I thought if you've got extra cucumbers you might like to utilize them this way:

EASY REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

Makes 7 Quarts
Bring the following to a boil for the brine:
6 cups water
6 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup salt

Let cool a little.

In 7 clean quart sized jars, add to each:

3-5 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp teaspoon
Red pepper flakes or one or two fresh hot peppers
One head of dill (or 1 tsp dill seed)


And stuff with cucumbers (slice them if they've gotten big)

Fill jars with hot brine, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.

Refrigerate for 2 weeks before eating and keep them refrigerated. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.

Comments

Popular Posts