Zucchini Cornbread Casserole

Spencer and Anika enjoying the zucchini harvest.
What a sad year for me and zucchini! Dad said not to plant more than one plant because I would get over run. I don't know if I planted my little start too late or if it was too far out of sprinkler range but this time, sorry to say, Dad was wrong! I got one giant zucchini that I made into a super tasty Southwestern Zucchini Boat (recipe coming soon!) and two tiny buddies. I sauteed one and forgot about the other which slimed its way into the compost via the vegetable drawer in the 'fridge. Luckily Mom and Dad do grow the most rocking-est zucchini in the entire world and now that they aren't using them all for weddings, I bet I will have some coming my way. And when I do, I might just make me some of this casserole (the Gluten-free + dairy-free version, see * below.)


This recipe is one of our most drooled over...right after Curry Tarragon Dressing.It's rather simple and a great way to use leftover cornbread and extra zucchini. It's very rich tasting, which often fools people into thinking it has cheese in it, but nope - all the good flavor without the added calories. Also check out our Zucchini Relish recipe for another great way to be sure your precious produce wont go to waste.  

Oven Temp: 350 degrees
Bake Time: About 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
6 medium zucchini, seeds scraped out with spoon, cut to 3/4"
1 cup butter
5 carrots, peeled and grated
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 to 1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup light sour cream
2 cups of crumbled cornbread
2 Tbsp winter savory, chopped (you can substitute thyme)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper or 4 pepper blend

Bring zucchini to boil in pan of water and cook 1 minute. Turn off and drain.

Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet. Saute carrots and onions until onions are clear. Remove from heat.

Spray 9 x 13 pan and mix in sour cream, soup, winter savory salt an pepper. Mix in carrot and onions, add zucchini. Mix in the cornbread evenly throughout the pan.

Bake until bubbly, let stand for a few minutes and serve.

*This recipe is easily made gluten and dairy free. Simply substitute gluten-free cornbread and use dairy-free sour cream such as toffuti in place of the sour cream and mushroom soup. Enjoy!

Posted by Bethany

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts