Pesto Presto


   It's my favorite time of year again. The magical season when I have basil of all colors and flavors coming out my ears! (No really, check them out sometime! Basil and green beans, I'm telling you, out the ears!) I absolutely love basil. Just the smell of it makes me super smiley (and did you know that it is considered an aphrodisiac? Learn more about its checkered past,   click here).
   This year has been very very hot and this Mediterranean herb has been loving it. We've been making pesto for months now and eating it fresh, but I also love to put some away for winter. I love how versatile pesto is. My son and I make it together and never really measure anything, so no two batches are the same. We go with the "just the right amount" method and adjust as necessary. I am also kind of chintzy sometimes when it comes to using the traditional pine nuts and have found that walnuts and hazelnuts work just as well. I have also used mint in place of the parsley (which I can't seem to grow for some reason, but luckily my mom can) and liked the super fresh taste. Below is our basic outline. I like mine whirled until pretty smooth for freezing, but I leave it more coarse and add more oil if I'm using it as a dressing or on fresh pasta. Enjoy!

Pesto Presto Recipe
4 cloves garlic
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup parsley leaves
1/3 cup pine nuts, walnuts, or hazelnuts
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
3 oz Parmesan cheese

   Whirl the garlic, basil, parsley, nuts, salt and pepper in a food processor with half of the oil added. Slowly add the remaining oil with the processor running. Add the cheese and add additional oil to obtain perfect consistency.  Scoop into jars or containers and cover tops with plastic wrap to maintain color before placing the lid on if you're using it from the refrigerator. If you are going to freeze, use containers that are the size you'd use for one meal and freeze right away. You can also freeze in ice cube trays and then transfer them into a resealable bag or container for easy portioning later. 


Comments

Popular Posts